Monday, June 05, 2006

Range Report 6-4-06

Today was an interesting day at the range. It was my Ruger's second trip out. I'm not as good with it as I am with that M29 Smith, but I think that I just need more practice with it. I think that I need bigger grips as well. We'll see.

I also made some progress in sighting in my SKS. I tweaked the iron sights some more and tightened my groups. Well, I think I tightened my groups. I don't shoot paper, I shoot at metal gongs. The gongs are about 10 inches across, so if I hit close but miss it alot then my groups are still off by at least 5". I think...

Anyway, there was this guy there who was shooting a Shiloh Sharps rifle in 45-70. It had survived Katrina and about two inches of water in his safe. He showed me an M1 carbine that had been in the safe right next to the Sharps and the bottom inch of the stock looked like the cabinet next to a leaky dishwasher but the Sharps showed barely any damage, just a very slight discoloration. I guess that why they cost so much. That and the fact the use so much metal, damn that thing was heavy! He had given the rifle to a guy to clean it up after the storm and the guy had to take off the rear peep sight to clean it. So naturally it was hitting way off after it was put back on. I helped him sight it in and he let me shoot it once so he could see where it was hitting. That thing kicked less than my SKS! I guess it's because it weighs around eleven pounds. It had a really cool double trigger and once you set the rear trigger, that front trigger defined the word "Hairtrigger".

I also snapped a pic of this little girl shooting her dad's PS-90. She was having fun until she got hit by some hot, ejected brass. The fun stopped there for a little while.














I also snapped a pic of the metal gong we were shooting at. It was so beat up that every time we'd hit it, a chunk would fly off. At the end of the day it looked worse than this.















Finally, after shooting my SKS I noticed something I've never seen before. I looked up and saw a piece of brass lodged in the beams of the roof! It was 7.62x39 and since that what the SKS eats and since that rifle ejects brass like nobody's buisiness, I can only assume it was from me.















I also got some strange looks when I pulled this out at the 100 yard range. It's my Phoenix Arms HP-22. It's the first gun I ever bought. Lots of people talk shit about this gun, but I was able to hit the 100 yard gong about 2-3 times out of a ten shot clip, semi-rapid fire, using a modified weaver stance. I'll never feel naked with it in my pocket!



















Well, That's about it. All in all it was a fun range trip. I didn't shoot as well as I normally do, but I guess we all have our off days...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry The Geek said...

"I'll never feel naked without it!"

Don't you mean:
"I'll never feel fully dressed without it!"

11:05 PM  
Blogger Sterno said...

I guess I need to go change that!

We'll just add it to the list of dumb things I've said.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home